Dry January Tips
Updated: Jan 4, 2019
Fourteen months on and happy to be alcohol free, these are my tips to help you achieve your Dry January.
1. Ignore the sceptics, any break in alcohol consumption is a good thing. Dry January is attempted by 10% of drinkers so you will get more support than at any other time of the year.
2. Give something up – take something up that does not involve alcohol. Exercise will make you feel good, exercising outside has the bonus of mental health benefits. It can be anything to give you a new focus that has no link to alcohol.
3. Find a support network – Facebook groups such as Club Soda or Women Who Don’t Drink can be a great source of support when you are feeling weak.
4. Prepare for the questions - Be clear in your own mind why you are quitting and don’t be pushed into drinking by friends who do not understand your decision or possibly feel threatened by your resolve.
5. Try substitute drinks. Alcohol free beer or a clear drink with ice and lemon can keep the questions at bay – it helps to be able to enjoy a soft drink without drawing attention to it. Alcohol is the only drug you sometimes need an excuse not to take!
6. Find alternative drinks for home and keep them stocked.
7. Volunteer to drive always. The harassment ceases and you can relax.
8. Recognise a psychological addiction to alcohol. You may not be physically addicted but habits are deeply embedded and they take time to change.
9. Moderation can be more difficult than abstinence for those with an addictive personality. Hold your resolve.
10. Identify your trigger points and plan to avoid or deal with them.
11. Organise treats - If alcohol was your reward, find alternatives and feel pleased with yourself.
12. Be mindful - If you crave sugar to replace alcohol, indulge yourself a little. Just be mindful of the danger of replacing one addiction with another.
13. It takes 66 days to make or break a habit. If you really want to reap the benefits and know if you feel any differently about alcohol - keep going, you will get there.